Norwegian Continental Shelf oil personnel enjoy several economic and social benefits as part of their salary packages, Aftenbladet’s ten-company inquiry shows.
In a white-hot employment and booming market, oil companies are competing at having the best and most profitable benefits for their employees.
Amazed by the benefits
Commercial controller Olaug Line (29) was amazed by the many benefits that came with the job when she applied for a position at the Italian oil company Eni.
Switching from audit work in Oslo to a oil job at Forus in Stavanger is lucrative.
- It was pretty good. Now I’ve bought my second home in three years, says Olaug Line. She lives with her partner in a detached house in Kirkegata in Sandnes.
Car loan at 0.18 percent
Italian company Eni Norge is currently offering staff interest-free mortgages, with car and consumer loans at 0.18 percent.
Andreas Wulff, director of external communications and public relations, confirms companies actively monitor what their competitors offer.
He tells Aftenbladet, “We are dependent upon getting the best people, which is why we have to offer this type of benefit. We have to deal with this reality, even though in an ideal world, we wish this were different.”
“The schemes are part of a salary package offered to make the company attractive in a competitive market. They help retain people.”
Eni employee benefits:
• Interest-free mortgage up to twice gross salary.
• Up to 300,000 kroner car loan, and 50,000 kroner personal loan at 0.18 percent interest.
• Grant towards day-care/kindergarten costs.
• Favourable pension and insurance schemes.
• Home PC-scheme.
• Sponsored further education in Norway and abroad (for example, a Master’s degree in Italy including, amongst other things, a property, pocket money, and travel to the value of up to 300,000 kroner).
• Extra holiday allowance according to length of service (up to five extra days of holiday after five years).
• Cheap hotels and car hire in Italy.
• Cabins in Sirdal (Vest-Adger County), southern Norway (Sørlandet), and Røldal (Hordaland County).
• Annual medical check-up.
• Free Italian language course, sponsored tickets to cultural events, and free entry to Jæren’s Vitenfabrikken, for example.
• Fitness centre with in-house instructors.
Benefits taxable according to current legislation.